This weekend I took off of work on Friday, and my beautiful wife, Rebecca, and I drove to the Gulf coast for a weekend without the kids. It was like being newlyweds again! What I realized, in very short order, was that while I have been working like a demon for the last several years I have forgotten some key things that I love. In some cases, I forgot them entirely; in others, I have forgotten how much I love them. Here are some of them:
1. I love Rebecca. Wildly, madly, deeply and thoroughly. She is the coolest person on the planet, and I love spending time alone with her. I love it when she smiles at me, when she laughs at my dumb jokes, when she has a cool new insightful thought, when she teases me, and when I catch her watching me when I am intent on something else. Time away alone without the kids is an amazing aphrodisiac, and it is true what Rebecca says: “Physical intimacy is the reward for being an adult.” I feel incredibly rewarded this weekend.
2. I love to read. Novels, mostly, but I love to read all kinds of books. I think it is very cool that books over 100 years old are now free on the Kindle. This weekend, I read an interesting Sci-Fi book, I am number four.
3. I love the ocean, especially my favorite ocean in the whole world, the Gulf of Mexico. I love swimming in the ocean, seeing the fish, the gulls overhead, the waves, the sand on the beach, the shells, the blue-green water touching the blue sky, the lovely breeze and everything that comes with the Gulf of Mexico.
4. I love my Omega Seamaster Chronograph.
5. I love exploring new places. I have been very fortunate in my life to have visited Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, Canada, Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Holland, Japan and China. I have been to 39 states. I absolutely love to travel to new places, and to see new things.
6. I love working out. This is one I had definitely forgotten about. I feel charged about getting back in the habit of working out!